Saturday, November 20, 2010

Colds suck

Colds, stuffy noses, coughing, congestion etc. suck. It's 6:30 am and I've just now gotten Little Man back to bed. He's been in my bed since 3 am because every time I shifted myself to put him back in his crib he'd cry and we would start all over again.
Every year around this time both myself and my husband have stuffy noses. We go through tissues as if we had stock in the company. But we are adults and are able to blow our noses repeatedly and move on with our day. Little Man though is another story. Any attempt on our part to clear his nasal passage ways is a stimulus and probably pretty weird to a little baby.
The bulb sucker works great but you know what it is probably like to have post nasal drip sucked up past the back of your throat? Probably tickles and feels pretty gross.
The battery operated sucker doesn't have as much suck power to it and that's probably for the best being that it winds up sucking the skin around his nose more then in his nose. It just takes to long and makes a weird noise so I don't blame him for shaking his head "no" while I'm doing my best to extract more snot.
I have a humidifier going in his room unfortunately he has the warmest (read driest) room in the house. Even when I walk in there I feel it. I'm torn between closing the door so the humidity can build up or opening the door to balance that room with the rest of the house.
Typically I apply Vick's Baby Rub before bedtime. Which really helps him. He didn't get that tonight because Daddy did bedtime and forgot it. I'm a strong believer in external aromatics helping to alleviate stuffiness. I sleep with a lavender filled stuffed lamb every night to fall asleep and on really bad nights I have a eucalyptus and mint frog. I can't wait until he can have one of these in his crib.
So finally around 5:30 I broke down and gave him a bit of children's , used saline spray, the suckers (both kinds) and nursed him to sleep. Hopefully he will get a few good hours and then he can sit in the bathroom while we take our showers. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...